Massage your way to a healthier you
There is no denying the fact that a massage can make you feel relaxed and rejuvenated. It relieves the stress and relaxes all the muscles, making you feel light and happy. No wonder then that you are always looking forward to a relaxing day at the spa.
But did you know that there are special massages that can even help to lose weight? Yes, you heard it right. According to studies, massage improves the muscle building capability of your body and thereby helps in losing weight and regulating it.
Remember that healthy and strong muscles make you feel more energetic, thus encouraging you to take up activities that would further help in burning calories and shedding off those extra kilos.
Still not convinced as to how massage can help in weight loss? Take a look.
How Massage Helps in Weight Loss?
- Improved Circulation: A good massage plays a vital role in improving the blood circulation through your body. This in turn ensures that the essential nutrients from the food reach all the vital organs, thus offering enough nourishment and improving metabolism.
- Flushing Out of Toxins: With the improved circulation, the toxins produced in the body are readily flushed out of the system. It should be noted that accumulation of toxins can result in weight gain.
- Enhanced Muscle Power: Massage improves the power of the muscles. Powerful muscles tend to burn more calories during work out. Also, with improved power, it becomes easier for you to work out longer which is important for weight loss.
Ice Massage for Weight Loss
This is literally the coolest way to lose weight. In ice massage, ice packs are applied to the areas that are overweight or where the skin is sagging. This proves beneficial in slimming and firming of the areas. Ice massage helps in
- Detoxification of the body
- Tightening and firming of the tissues and sagging skin
- Promoting blood circulation
- Reducing cellulite
Just within a few sessions you can see remarkable change in your body. The best thing about ice massage is that this can be done at home too. While the normal ice can also be used for this massage therapy, massage professionals use medicated ice for the purpose. The ice is made by boiling some herbs in water and then freezing it. This is then applied to the area on the body from where you want to lose weight or which seems to have loose, sagging skin. Applying the ice is circular motion is recommended for better results. People with sensitive skin should avoid applying the ice directly to their skin. Instead they should use a cloth or a plastic bag to offer a barrier.
Known as Udwarthanam, this massage does not make use of the customary oil or any other liquid. Instead in this massage, powder of grains, herbs or certain flour is used for massage. The powder is sometimes mixed with natural oil like sesame oil to prepare a paste. This paste is then massaged into the body in firm, upper motions. The massage motion is what sets it apart from the conventional massage in which downward motion is used to massage in the oil.
The herbs used for powder massage are horse gram, deodar, mustard, gooseberry, phyllanthu, senna, belerica and myrobalan.
The powder massage is recommended to people who are
- Suffer from abdominal obesity
- Have cellulite issues
- Post delivery women
There are two types of powder massage or Udwarthanam.
- Ruksha or Dry Massage: In this massage, herbal powders are rubbed into the body during the massage. This works great in flushing out the toxins in the body.
- Snigdha/Sneha or Oily Massage: In this massage, the herbal powders are mixed with natural oils to form a paste. This paste is then massaged into the body. This is the best choice for people with sensitive skin.
Here’s how Udwarthanam is performed.
- The herbal powder is first warmed
- Then it is massaged into the body in the direction opposite to the growth of the hair follicles
- The powder is applied to seven different positions in the body using rubbing and massaging motions
- The massage lasts for about 15 to 45 minutes
- After the massage the body is allowed to rest for about 15 minutes
- Lukewarm water is used to bathe and after the bath, skin is moisturized
With massage helping in weight loss, there is all the more reason to go for it. What’s more since there is no side effect to this treatment, it surely seems to be a safe and fun way to lose weight. However, it is important to approach a professional for these massages to ensure complete safety of your body. So, if you are trying to lose those extra kilos, go ahead and add a weight loss massage to your weight loss check list today.
Get leaner and fitter by choosing a relaxing massage.