Don’t let your gut give you the silent treatment
Improper bowel movements are not serious. But they surely cause a lot of discomfort and gastric issues that can make your life difficult. However, it has been seen that when it comes to speaking up about bowel movements, people are really apprehensive.
Believe it or not, every 1 in 7 adults suffers from constipation. Then why keep these issues under wraps. Instead, you should try to rectify it such that you can lead a normal life. Though constipation does not have any serious repercussions, it surely brings in a lot of discomfort with it that are best avoided.
What is Constipation?
When the bowel movements of a person are irregular or when he finds it hard to pass stools, he is said to be constipated. It should be noted that not passing stools everyday cannot be considered to be constipation. Bowel movements vary from one person to another. However, if this does not happen for more than 3 days, this can be termed as constipation.
Here are some of the symptoms that are associated with constipation.
- Bowel movements are far and few
- Bowel movement that is accompanied by a lot of straining
- Stools that are hard or small
- A feeling of not having emptied your bowels completely
- Pain in the belly
- Swollen stomach
- Vomiting sensation and vomiting
The Causes of Constipation
Ever wondered what the causes of constipation could be? Well there are a number of factors that can cause this like dietary, physical, psychological, hormonal and emotional. It should be noted that sometimes it could also be a combination of more than one of these factors. However, the causes may be different from one person to another.
Let us take a look at some of these causes.
- Low fibre content in daily diet
- Consumption of antacids that contain aluminium and calcium
- Low physical activity
- Excessive consumption of dairy products
- Low intake of water
- Having taken too many laxatives in the past
- Some problem in the digestive system’s nerves and muscles
- Certain medications
- Too much stress
Natural Remedies for Constipation
Seeking medicinal help is one of the easiest ways to get over the issue of constipation. But, you are looking for long term benefits and want to say goodbye to improper bowel movements forever, it is advisable to go the natural way.
Here are some natural remedies that will help you cure constipation and prevent it from reoccurring.
- Get some Sesame: One of the best ways to overcome the issue of dry and hard stools is to moisturize your intestines. This can be done by including sesame in your daily diet. You can add these to your salads or powder these and have it with your soups or even sprinkle these as a seasoning.
- Load Up on Fibre: Enough fibre in the diet is what helps to remove all the waste from the digestive tracts while also helping in the absorption of water. Since it adds bulk to the stools, passing these becomes easier. Including fibre rich food items in your diet like whole grain cereals, beans, raw fruits and vegetables, oatmeal and almonds can do the trick.
- Add in some Healthy Fat: Though too much fat is not good, the lack of it too does not help. Including food items with healthy fats is also a great way to overcome constipation. Olive oil, almonds and avocadoes are a few foods that comprise of healthy fats.
- Go for Lemons: The juice of lemon comprises a high dose of citric acid that has the ability to flush out toxins from the body. Drinking a glass of freshly squeezed lemon juice mixed with water or lemon tea is a great way to keep your bowel movements normal.
- Gorge on Raisins: This magic dry fruit is not just high in fibre content but also contains tartaric acid that is believed to have laxative property. Thus, munching on a few raisins every day will help you overcome constipation.
- Stay Hydrated: Lack of water in your body can also lead to you getting constipated. It is important that you drink at least 1-2 litres of water every day. This will not only keep you hydrated but will also regulate your bowel movements.
Making some lifestyle changes like exercising everyday and indulging in yoga is also a great way to allay constipation.
Though constipation is not a life threatening disease, it surely compromises your lifestyle. By going the natural way to cure this issue, you not only work wonders for your lifestyle but also pave way for a healthier and happier you.
Let nature work its way to your gut.