Juice up your Life
If you are trying to get fit and lead a healthier lifestyle, there is nothing better you can do than make vegetable and fruit juices a large part of your diet. This does not mean going out and buying the packaged and bottled ones which are full of sugars and preservatives but consuming natural, freshly-squeezed fruit and vegetable juices. Here are some of the advantages a juice-packed diet can give you:
- Burn calories without compromising on nutrition:
Often, in the enthusiasm to lose weight, people make the mistake of going off food instead of switching to healthier food options. This deprives the body of essential nutrients and leaves you feeling tired, low and prone to infections. Instead, fresh juice helps you combat weight issues while still ensuring your body gets all the nutrition it needs to stay fighting fit.
- Improved nutrient absorption:
There are very few people in the world who have perfect or near-perfect digestion. Most people’s digestive systems work at sub-optimum levels. Due to this, your body is not able to absorb all the essential nutrients from fruits and vegetables. When you consume them in the form of juices, you help your body by pre-digesting them and thus significantly improving nutrient absorption.
- Promotes healthier eating choices
The battle against unhealthy eating options begins right in the supermarket, carries over to the kitchen and finally ends with what you actually feed your body.
Making juices a big part of your diet means that you shop for more veggies and fruits, instead of biscuits and cakes.
- Promote Healing and Detox
With the amount of toxins, one ends up building up on our body, juice fast or juice therapy is highly recommended. Apart from including a juice fast in your diet, include fresh vegetable juice in your daily diet to support the filtration process of the kidney, alkalize the body, detoxify the liver, and resultantly, eradicate ailments.
Ask your naturopath to recommend you the right kind of juice in your diet to manage specific health conditions like diabetes , ulcers, acidity, indigestion, skin diseases, Throat disorders, Typhoid, Anemia, Weight loss or gain, cancer, Infertility, Internal bleeding, hypertension, Acne, Migraine, insomnia, Liver disorders, or stones. So let juice be thy medicine!
Here are some points you need to keep in mind while going on a juice fast:
- Eliminate stimulants from your diet preferable a week before you go on juice fast. This includes alchocholic beverages, coffee, colas and tea.
- Also, abstain from wheat, dairy, meats, eggs, fish, and sugar to prepare yourself for the fast.
- Go for organic vegetables and fruits, while preparing for this therapy.
- You can have 1-2 cups of herbal tea on the day of the fast.
- Go slow with solids when breaking the fast. Start with solid fruits. Then move to steamed vegetables that have less starch. You can then move to salads and porridge.
Best Kinds of Juices
Now that you are convinced about the importance and advantages of juices, you must be wondering, what kind of juices work best?
- Well, the best are the ones loaded with veggies, plants and a little bit of fruit to balance the bitter taste, enhance the color, give flavor, and add tang and sweetness.
- Start with vegetables you don’t mind eating raw today like cucumber, carrot, and beetroot. Move on to spinach, fenugreek, celery, and lettuce. Add ginger, mint, apples, grapes, limes, oranges, berries, pomegranate, and other seasonal fruits to make the juice drinkable.
- Remember, there is no point to the whole juice drinking exercise if you add sugar. As you get accustomed to consuming juices, reduce the quantity of fruits and increase the amount of vegetables in your juices.
- Try and buy organically grown produce to reduce the quantity of pesticides you consume. Alternatively wash fruits and vegetables very well and peel them whenever possible.
Keep this in Mind
Always consult a naturopath before taking on any juicing therapy. Here are the groups of people who should not go on juice fast:
- Pregnant women
- Lactating women
- People with the following conditions- gout, hypoglycemia, diabetes, , kidney disease, liver disease, active infections, impaired immune function, asthma, epilepsy, anemia, or ulcerative colitis.
- Someone who feels dizzy while on the fast or experiences nausea, vomiting or signs of low blood pressure or abnormal heart beat.
The Juice of it All
Make juicing a way of life
Whether your objective is losing weight or simply living healthy, juices can help you get there. Start your juicing journey with the mixer you already have at home. Once you are sure you are all set and committed to this way of life, buy a good-quality juicer.
Invest five minutes of your time in the morning and evening to make your own juice or buy it fresh from a trusted seller. You will reap the benefits for years to come and your body will thank you for looking after it in the best possible natural way. So, replace your morning cuppa with a tall glass of green juice. And get ready for a jumpstart!