A step to a healthier you
According to the natural healing experts, the three doshas in the human body, namely Vata, Pitta and Kapha are the predominant reasons for all the ill health. Of these, Vata is considered to be the root cause of a wide range of diseases.
Controlling this dosha is enough to get a hold on your health. It is believed that Vata mainly resides in the colon of a person. Thus, a proper cleansing of the colon is all that you need to do to get rid of this.
Though there are a number of ways to cleanse the colon, nothing seems more effective than the natural technique of Basti. Considered to be a rather effective treatment of Vata, this involves administration of a number of enemas over a certain period of time.
What is Basti Chikitsa (Treatment)?
Basti Chikitsa which is also known as Vasti is the process of administering enema to a person using oil or herbal decoctions. It is an integral part of the Panchkarma therapies and is believed to remove all the issues that are caused by the Vata dosha in the body.
Types of Basti
When it comes to cleansing the colon, Basti Chikitsa can be classified into two types.
- Niruha Basti: Also known as Aasthapan Basti, this treatment entails the use of herbal decoctions mixed with oil to administer the enema to a person. This treatment proves beneficial in healing health issues like nervous disorders, arthritis, urine obstruction and constipation. This is not recommended for people who are underweight or suffer from asthma, diabetes, tuberculosis and skin diseases.
- Anuvasan Basti: In this treatment, warm oil with some decoction mixed to it is administered as enema to the person concerned. It is believed to rejuvenate the body. However, people suffering from anemia, intestinal worms, piles, obesity and jaundice should steer clear of this treatment.
Benefits of Basti Chikitsa
Basti treatment has some really positive effects on your health which is why it is highly recommended by the naturalists. Take a look at what it does for you.
- Detoxifies and cleanses the body.
- Penetrates into all the body elements thereby rectifying any underlying issues
- Enhances the secretions in the colon which in turn is improves the health
- Treats constipation by softening and liquefying the waste in the colon
- Assists in timely and quick dispelling of the waste through the rectum
Signs that you should Opt for Basti Chikitsa
Wondering if you really need a Basti chikitsa or not? Well, there is no harm in trying it out even if you are healthy and fit. However, it is specifically beneficial for the people with one or more of these issues.
- Pain in the lower back
- Frequent headaches
- Muscular atrophy
When is it not a Good Idea to go for the Basti Chikitsa?
There is no denying the fact that Basti Chikitsa can work wonders for your health. But it is not recommended for all and sundry. One should not opt for this treatment in case he/she is suffering from one or more of these health issues.
- Severe anemia
- Rectal bleeding
- Severe indigestion
- Shortness of breath
- Pulmonary tuberculosis
- Old age
It should be noted that Basti treatment is not recommended for children who are below the age of seven.
What to do Before Basti?
If you are planning to go for a Basti Chikitsa, it is recommended that you massage your abdomen and lower back with some warm oil. The massaging motion should be in the clockwise direction. You can even go ahead and treat yourself to a full body massage as this would assist in the loosening of the toxins in the body. After the abdominal massage, placing a warm pack on it would help in getting the intestines all set for the treatment.
How is Basti Treatment carried out?
Irrespective of whether you are opting for the Niruha Basti or the Anuvasan Basti, the herbal decoction or the oil will be administered to you through the rectum. Thanks to the osmosis process inside the intestines, the mixture is quickly absorbed by it and the process of cleansing begins within a matter of a few seconds.
What to Keep in Mind?
When carried out under the expert supervision of a specialist, the Basti treatment can bring about a lot of benefits. On the other hand, if it is administered in the wrong manner, it could lead to a lot of complications like pains, burning sensation, itching, constipation etc. So, make sure to seek the help of a professional for this natural way of cleansing your system.
Basti treatment is the natural way to get rid of all the toxins and wastes in your body that may be causing various health issues for you. Consulting a naturopath will give you a more detailed insight into the process while also ensuring that you are safe. So, go ahead and reap the benefits of Basti.
Remember, a colon cleanse could the hold the key to a healthier future.