Cervical Spondylosis,or Cervical Osteoarthritis, is generally an age related condition involving changes in the bones, discs and joints in the neck. These changes are caused by the normal wear and tear of cartilage and bones of the cervical spine. It is commonly found in middle aged or old people. Aging causes disks of the cervical spine to gradually break down, lose fluid and become stiffer. The degeneration of disks and other cartilage results in abnormal growth or spurs on the bones in the neck. These abnormal growth or spurs may put extra pressure on the spinal column and nerve roots, causing pain.
The symptoms for this condition range from mild to severe. The symptoms for Cervical Spondylosis include:
- Headache that begins at the neck
- Shoulder ache/tingling
- Armache ache/tingling
- Hampered movement in the neck and head
- Loss of bowel or bladder control
Apart from aging, this condition can stem from the following:
- Long hours of sitting in front of computer
- Improper diet, particularly packing protein
- Neck injuries
Naturopathy helps significantly in the treatment and management of Cervical Spondylosis. It heals the muscles and ligaments from inside and provides comfort to the bones without any medicines or medical procedures.
While the specifics might vary from person-to-person depending upon the other health issues, a typical Naturopathic treatment for Cervical Spondylosis might include a combination of one or more of the following:
- Diet Management needs to be done to take care of the daily protein and calcium requirements of the body
- Exercises (including specific cervical exercises and simple yoga practices) go a long way in providing relief from the symptoms
- Posture Corrections are a must to prevent recurrence
- Sun Baths help the body generate Vit D, which is a pre-requisite for proper absorption of calcium in the body. This helps with improved bone health
- Massage Therapy is an effective way to treat vein numbness and heal sore muscles. It reduces stiffness and lessens the severity of pain and discomfort
- Acupressure is another recommended Naturopathic therapy that provides relaxation and balance to the cervical region
- Mud Therapy& Hydro Therapy also provides relief in Cervical Spondylosis as it helps themuscles relax from their state of constant tension. This lets the body rest in its natural state
Cervical Spondylosis tends to be a long-term condition. However, it is not progressive and can be easily treated and controlled through Naturopathy by means of suitable diet changes, simple corrective therapies, posture corrections and ongoing exercises.